Attention: The guidelines for enrolling in an MD Police & Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) Instructor course have changed as of 2019. Please review all information carefully before requesting enrollment. Applicants not adhering to the new requirements will be denied the seat until prerequisites are met.
The 35-hour Basic Instructor Training Program is designed for individuals who are interested in learning the basics of instruction. This course will give the students the basic skills to teach general topics, including the use of basic PowerPoint, as well as communication and presentation skills. The students will become familiar with the purpose of learning objectives and the components of a lesson plan. This is primarily a presentation skills class. Completion of this course satisfies either the Police Training & Standards Commission or the Correctional Training Commission Instructor Certification training requirements.
- For each enrollee, the agency head or training coordinator must submit an email to Katie.Johnson@maryland.gov stating the student name, course date enrolled and a 2-3 sentence description of why the student requires the training. Justification should include where the student will be teaching (academy or in-service) and how many hours per program.
- This course is limited to 3 students per agency. Training coordinators can contact Katie.Johnson@maryland.gov to add students to the wait list.
- Please Note: MPCTC Instructor Certification is only required for those individuals who will be teaching more than 3 hours in any one MPCTC approved training program. An individual who provides 3 hours or less of instruction for a Commission-approved training course is exempt from the requirement to have instructor certification required under COMAR. Additional conditions and details on obtaining full Instructor Certification as required by MPCTC can be found here: mdle.net/approval.htm
- Agencies wishing to substitute a student will still need to provide the above justification. Walk-in substitutions will not be admitted without a signed justification from the agency head or training coordinator. Also, agencies holding a seat with a yet to-be-determined student will need to send in the justification at least 2 months prior to the course start date. If a student name and justification are not received by this time, the hold will be automatically removed from the roster.
- All applicants for the MPCTC Basic Instructor Training Program must receive approval from their home agency in order to register for this training (online registration implies approval). Students wishing to attend the course outside of authorization from their agency will not be permitted.
- Applicants from any non-client agencies will be admitted to the class only if there are vacant seats remaining within 1 week of the first day of training. Client Agencies are Maryland certified agencies under the regulated authority of the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commissions (MPCTC). Interested persons can email a signed registration form with payment method indicated to Katie.Johnson@maryland.gov to be added to the wait list. All forms must have an approving signature in order to register the student. This can be an agency head, supervisor, or training coordinator – someone to authorize the student to take this course. For courses with a fee associated, MD Police & Correctional Training Commissions requires credit card information in order to process non-client enrollments (Visa or MasterCard).